Perfecting the Magic of Planing
Unicorn is a media planning and scheduling software used by media agencies, advertisers, and marketing professionals to schedule and execute advertising campaigns both digital and traditional. It also accompanies the business planning side of media planning.
Slow work process using Excel and doing everything manually. Those Excel files contain huge amounts of data which often can lead to crashing computers. The old system also lacked a unified workflow between planning and business departments.
High Level Goals:
- Make it fast.
- Make it easy for everyone everywhere.
- Give users more control.
My role as UX Designer
- Work with product managers and CEOs to clarify business goals.
- Work with product managers and designers to conduct user testing and research.
- Conducted interviews with users and stakeholders.
- Conducted discovery workshops with stakeholders.
- Created a UX strategy with the product manager and engineers.
- Designed application from the ground up.
- Created user flows.
First, we had to find out who the users and the target audience are since there were many roles involved in the process of media planning. Then I divided users into three main categories:
- Planners (Account Directors, Account Managers, and Media Planners), the most significant part of the application
is focusedon these three roles.
- Media Buyers – Business Department (acts as a middle man between advertisers and media)
- System admin
We divided application in two parts planning, which is used by account directors and media planners and the business part, which is used by media buyers who are in charge of setting the ad prices. Both of those two departments need to work in cohesion, ex, if there is an ad price change in a business department system, this will immediately inform account directors or media planners regarding the price change.
Planning part of the application
The business part of the application
We have simplified the way to enter the new client and other relatable information into the system.
In the old system, if there’s a new client, that client would need to be entered in a separate system/website, then from there, it needs to be imported into excel. The new system allows users to enter new clients without using external websites or different applications.
We introduced smart search functionality to search for any kind of relatable information like media mix, media plans, clients, etc.
Also, we added a progress bar that indicates the progress of specific media plans, total campaign budget, how much money is spent, and the remaining budget.
Media planners and account directors can filter campaigns according to media. Each campaign displays pieces of information like budget, duration of the campaign, and name of the campaign.
Due to cloud-based media planning, media planners can work in real-time on the same media plan with together other media planners. We have improved and considerably sped the way media planners work using AI to help them schedule what ad is going to air during certain shows, movies, etc.
Improved budget control; A detailed account of all the monetary transactions spent in media planning for each client is aggregated and compiled appealingly.
Data-driven media planning and data integration can be simplified with integration and visualization tools. Media plans for outdoor advertising now include interactive maps with billboard locations.
- Since we are dealing here with data-heavy files opening these files can take quite a bit of time, speed was essential, in the old system files would take up to 20 minutes to open in the new system that was cut down to 30 seconds.
- The dynamic cloud-based interface generates advertising flowcharts with just one click of a button.
- All orders can be generated, emailed, and printed.
- We made it 100% web-based it can be accessed on any device with an internet connection.
- Consistency between making strategies, planning.
- The platform is doing all the heavy work while the strategic plans are carried out by the user.